The term, 'safe spaces,' has become more ubiquitous in recent years - as popularized by its embrace on college campuses, in social justice movements, and in organizational diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts. But what does it REALLY mean? At its base is the notion that all people should feel free and welcome to live, work, and express ideas (and even argue!) without fear of harm, intimidation, or retribution in any environment in which they choose to exist. If only it were that simple!
Join DC Design Week and Service Design DC for cross-disciplinary lightning talks centered around designers' roles in creating safe spaces. From urban planning to workplace interactions and online communities, designers can (and are) playing key roles in shaping safe spaces. Talks will aim to expand notions about what it means to feel safe; why it's important to create safe spaces (and dismantle harmful ones); and how designers can play crucial roles as change agents in such efforts.
About Service Design DC
Service Design DC, home of the Service Design Network (SDN) DC chapter, is a community of design professionals dedicated to furthering the practice of Service Design in the Washington, DC metro area. We believe that Service Design fuels innovation inspired by people and helps create better customer and citizen experiences.
Service Design DC Meetup Link
This event will be streamed via Zoom:
- In order to participate fully, plan to join on the Zoom app via a computer, tablet, or mobile device with enough bandwidth to support viewing video.
- Only those whose display name fully matches the name on our registration list will be admitted from the waiting room, in order to ensure only those who have registered for the event are able to attend — and to create space for intimate conversations.
- This event will be recorded unless technical issues occur. The recordings will be shared in the AIGA DC recordings archive for AIGA members to rewatch or catch up on at a later date. (You can register for a membership on our website for just $50 for a year.)
- Questions for the speaker can be asked live during the event through the chat.
You can find more about joining our virtual events, including how to connect, directions to troubleshoot, and information about our refund policy, in our FAQs.
- This event will have real time CART (live captioning) services and transcriptions provided by Verbit.
- A sign language interpreter will not be present unless requested. If requested, we will do our best to employ a sign language interpreter for the event.
If you need any additional accommodations, please contact us using a method that works best for you:
We honor your privacy. No identifying information like your name is required to request an accommodation, and all details will be deleted once completed.
You can learn more about how we’re making DC Design Week an accessible experience by visiting our accessibility statement.
Code of Conduct
All AIGA DC events adhere to our Code of Conduct.
About DC Design Week
Built and run by 100% volunteer power, DC Design Week is an annual celebration of our community — hosted by AIGA DC. Ten percent of all revenue from DCDW events and all profit this year go toward the Design Continuum Fund (DCF) scholarship fund. We believe in fostering the next generation of designers by helping local, design-minded and underrepresented students as they pursue their education. Interested in becoming a member? To gain early access to our most exclusive events and year-long discounts, sign up to become a member today!