* DEADLINE EXTENDED* SHINE is a four-month mentoring program designed to fertilize the career growth and professional success of emerging designers. Mentors and mentees will come together and work hand-in -hand to identify the mentee’s career goals and aspirations. Then, over the next four months, mentors will provide advice and guidance as they show their mentees the ropes. The kickoff will take place the second week in January 2018.
Do you wish you had some insight into what design professionals think of your work? Ever wonder what a “real” design studio, agency or office looks like? Are you curious if your career in design will work out? Want to learn the magic of making projects come to life? Be a mentee!
Do you remember all the mistakes you made when you first graduated? Ever wish you were back in design school and you had a semester to complete your projects? Do you want to share with recent college graduates or young professionals what the real world is like? Be a mentor!
The SHINE program runs from mid January to mid May 2018.
To be a mentee, you must be one of the following:
- An undergraduate with either an Associate of Arts degree or enrolled in your senior year in a design program
- Within one year of graduation with a degree in graphic design, communications, digital/interactive media or a related program
- An emerging designer (1-4 years of work experience)
- Those who have previously been mentees can apply for another session, but being in the program before doesn’t guarantee you a spot.
To be a mentor, you must be either currently employed or retired and have at least five years experience in the field of graphic design, communications, visual arts, digital/interactive media, design education or related areas.
As a mentor, we may also ask you to help out with group aspects of the program, like leading discussions or talking about your work.
We encourage past mentors to apply again, but we can’t guarantee you a spot.
How It Works
We are now accepting applications for mentors and mentees for Winter 2018, which will run from early January through early May.
The capacity of this initiative is 25 mentors and 25 mentees.
Based on your application, our mentoring committee will match you based on your interests and desired career path. If we are unable to be match you in December, you will be notified and have the option to go on a waiting list.
At the kickoff event during the week of January 15, you will meet your mentor/mentee and hear great ideas for how to start your partnership as well as more specifics of the program itself.
AIGA believes designers play a significant role in creating positive social impact and cultivating products and tools that can benefit the world, our country and our communities. This year we will implement a Design for Good project, which you will work on with your match.
In addition to the one-on-one time with your partner, SHINE will host exclusive events for you to connect with other participants during the course of the program.
Interested? Here’s How to Apply
Things to Remember:
Consider the commitment carefully before you apply. The success of any mentoring relationship is contingent on your commitment. It is mandatory that you meet with your match within the first month, or risk being terminated from the program. No exceptions.
There is a one-time $25 fee for mentees, only once you’ve been accepted into the program. You will be notified via email. There is no cost for mentors.
Complete the survey by 5 p.m. on Dec. 7, 2017. Answer the questions in detail so that we may match you. Once matched, we will share your responses with your mentee/mentor. Incomplete surveys will be discarded automatically.